What is Aurora US?
Aurora US is a clinical study, not a treatment trial, that will collect biospecimens from patient volunteers who have received a diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer after having been treated for early stage breast cancer.
Why is Aurora US being done?
- Metastatic breast cancer is currently incurable. In order to better understand how and why breast cancers spread and to develop better treatments for patients diagnosed with MBC, researchers will perform analyses on samples of primary (original) and metastatic tumors and combine this with treatment information from participants.
- The findings of this study may help future patients with metastatic breast cancer.
Who can participate?
You can participate in this study if:
- You have metastatic breast cancer that has spread beyond your breast after
treatment for early stage breast cancer.
- Breast tumor tissue from your primary breast cancer at the time of original
diagnosis is available to be tested.
- Tumor tissue from your metastatic breast cancer is available to be tested or
you are scheduled to have a biopsy of your metastatic tumor.
- You agree to genetic testing of your tumor tissue.
What do I need to do during the study?
If you choose to participate in this study, you will be asked to give permission to:
- Collect stored tissue samples (cancer tissue and normal tissue from the original cancer in your breast)
- Collect new tissue samples (cancer tissue and normal tissue from the site(s) of breast cancer recurrence or metastasis)
- Obtain blood samples
- Collect information from your medial record
- Re-contact you for consideration of future studies (optional)
Once enrolled in the study, you may have to undergo a biopsy of your metastatic tumor. This may have been scheduled by your doctor as part of your normal care.
Are there side effects?
Your medical team will explain and discuss possible side effects that you may experience while on this study.
How much will it cost?
There may be costs to you. You are responsible for all co-pays and deductibles according to your insurance plans for your normal cancer care. Any exams or procedures done for research purposes will not be billed to you or your insurance company. Please ask a member of the study team at your study site about all related study costs.
Who is conducting Aurora US?
The AURORA US clinical study is being led by a team of experienced researchers who take care of breast cancer patients in institutions across the United States. AURORA is funded by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation through the Evelyn H. Lauder Founder’s Fund. Learn more at BCRF.org.
Where can I find out more about Aurora US?
E-mail Aurora US at firstname.lastname@example.org.